to make a PPT (Powerpoint) Slide Show if you don't have Microsoft
Powerpoint and DO have the FREE OpenOffice suite from
These are MY notes; YMMV.
1. Get a PPT file from someplace else; e.g. use one I made called "Diamond Willow Sticks." You can get
2. Open that PPT file in OpenOffice and it will look like this:
Click on the title "Diamond Willow Sticks" and a box will appear around that
text. Then you can change that text; do the same with "Pure Art by
4. When done typing, click on the first image, the
first thumbnail in the left panel so that it appears in the main
window, so you have this:
Now RIGHT-click on the first thumbnail and choose "cut." Repeat with
all the pictures to remove all of them. Then you have this:
6. In the "Tasks Pane" (on the right) click the first box; the
first "layout." (If not already visible, open the "Tasks Pane" by
selecting the "View -> Tasks pane" menu option and click "Layouts"
in the Tasks Pane.)
7. In the Toolbar, "Insert | Slide" and you'll have this:
8. Now click: 'Insert | Picture | from file' and browse to one of your
new pictures and "open" it.
That will bring in the picture, on top of the text of the new slide;
note the 8 green "buttons" on the picture; grab those and stretch the
picture to fit the frame so that you will have it looking like this:
10. For successive pictures, repeat steps 7, 8 and 9.
When you have all the pictures in, 'File | Save as | Microsoft
Powerpoint 97/2000/XP (.ppt)" like this, enter a file name, browse to WHERE you want to
save it, put a check-mark beside "Auto Extension" and click Save:
12. You will probably get this dialog box; if you do, click "Keep
test the ppt file and if possible, email it to somebody else to test on
their machine as well to be sure that it is OK.
There should be a way to export it as something other than ppt so that
people can play it even if they don't have powerpoint or the
equivalent. something like a 'packaged' export. a standalone
IF YOU have comments on this, please let me know: kenstick at telus dot net.
THANKS to Dave Barton, Project Coordinator, Tutorials For OpenOffice
My HOME page: http://www.sticksite.com/